Opening of the Cité de la Gastronomie de Lyon
The Cité internationale de la Gastronomie in Lyon is now open. Alongside similar sites in Paris (Rungis), Dijon and Tours, this new cultural facility celebrates UNESCO’s inscription of the French gastronomic meal as an intangible cultural heritage.
While each city has its specific area of interest, Lyon is focused on the link between food and health. Michelin-starred chef Régis Marcon, chairman of the Cité internationale de la Gastronomie's steering committee, explains: “Our challenge is to prove to the public that health and pleasure can be combined on a plate, including (and especially!) in every day meals. "
Sculpture featuring 13 spoons by Vincent Breed, under the dome of the Cité in Lyon
A completely renovated historic site based in a former hospital called the Grand Hôtel Dieu, the Cité in Lyon covers 4,000 square metres, including:
- A permanent exhibition about the history of Lyon’s gastronomy and its “parents”. The exhibition revisits the French gastronomic meal as well as celebrating the food products of its “terroirs” and delving into the history of the building. There is also a room devoted to the nutrition challenges of tomorrow, raising questions about eating habits around the world, from daily meals to Michelin-starred cuisine.
- Temporary exhibitions, from art to topical subjects.
- The GastroLudothèque (Gastronomic Playground). Yum! A space for kids featuring games that will help them develop their sense of smell, discover the food cycle and find out where the food they eat comes from.
- GastroLab. A co-working space for the creation of projects focusing on nutrition and food health issues.
- An open kitchen for demonstrations and culinary workshops.
Conferences, themed visits, plays and music: the Cité will offer events and experiences throughout the year, with programming varies with the seasons. The curious, the passionate and the professional are all invited to discover a place that puts "gastronomy at the crossroads of food and health".
Learn more from the website of the Cité internationale de la Gastronomie de Lyon
Useful information :
Cité internationale de la Gastronomie de Lyon
4 Grand Cloître du Grand Hôtel-Dieu, 69002 Lyon
Open every day from 10am to 7pm
Late opening on Saturdays until 10pm
Full price: €12
Reduced price: €8 (students, children under 16)
Special price: €3 (job seekers, social benefit recipients)
Free: (children under 5 years, people with reduced mobility and their carers)